A PICTURES WORTH ...........
See more great pictures HERE
IN THE BUZZ:
Hello and welcome to spring!!
Spring is here and so is the spring thaw. This means open water and muddy roads. We really need to watch our little ones around creeks and rivers.
We also need to be more aware of our heating systems as they do not operate the same now as when it is cold. It's a good time to check our chimneys to ensure they are clear. Soon our BBQs will be back in use so we need to make sure they are in good working order. Check the hoses and the burners to be sure they are safe to use.
The fire team has been doing intensive training over the winter months to make us better able to help in time of need. The best thing that we as residents of the community can do is to practice safety. This will make the job of the fire department mush easier; something that will make us all happy.
I was just in formed today that the fire hall is getting a new fire truck for the hall, something that is way overdue. It will be great to have new equipment. We will practive with it and again, it would be nice if we only used it for practice.
From all of us, to all of you, stay safe.
Our deepest condolences go out to the friends, family and team members of the North Perth Fire Service .
Rogers TV will carry coverage of the funeral service for fallen North
Perth Firefighters, Ray Walter and Kenneth Rea Thursday, March 24 at
The service will also be available on CKNX AM 920
September 14, 2009
Well its that time again , summer is passing fall is coming. Our children are back in school and the buses are back on the roadways again, LETS WATCH OUT FOR THE KIDS they are our future.
Along with the changing of seasons comes the change of our habits, soon our heat will be turned on, lets make sure our heating sources are in good working order.
Lets check and clean our smoke detectors to ensure they are working.
The fire department will soon be out going from door to door checking to ensure you are ready
We should check our chimneys to make sure that they have not become blocked over the summer, some times small birds and animals get in them and cause a blockage
Just a reminder of the services that the fire department provides to our community, we provide fire service as well as medical first response , we also offer fire safety advice.
Our people are training every week ,as well as some weekend training when possible, the volunteers are working hard to keep up with the advanced training that is required so as we are better able to help in times of need.
There has been some new people joined our force, but we are always looking for more help.
Halloween is coming up soon and any donations of treats to hand out will be most welcome, in the past we have had help from the residents and organizations that has really helped to make our halloween a special event. THANK YOU ALL.
LETS BE SAFE .
Phelps Township- 01/13/2009 As Ontario prepares to be blasted by chilling Arctic temperatures this week, Phelps Fire Department is urging the public to keep fire safety in mind when taking steps to deal with colder winter weather.
The winter months traditionally see more fires in Ontario homes related to heating equipment and appliances. People need to pay close attention to potential fire hazards related to the use of fuel-burning appliances, space heaters and even block heaters in their vehicles.
"Block heaters should be treated just as any other piece of electrical equipment around the home," explains Tom Burt Phelps Fire Chief. "Cords and connections should be in good repair and caution should be used to ensure circuits are not overloaded."
Important fire safety tips for cold weather include the following:
The Phelps Fire Department reminds everyone that the Ontario Fire Code requires smoke alarms to be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Failure to comply with this law can result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $100,000. If you require more information about smoke alarms or fire safety, please contact The Phelps Fire Department.
For more information contact:
Phelps Volunteer Fire Department
Tom Burt Fire Chief
Every trailer, RV and mobile home should have working smoke alarms
TORONTO (July 3, 2008) - On June 30, a 34-year-old man and two young children died in a fire in a trailer park in Essex, Ontario. It has been confirmed by Office of the Fire Marshal investigators that no working smoke alarms were found in the trailer.
As a result of this tragic fatal fire, the Fire Marshal of Ontario is urging everyone to have a working smoke alarm in their trailer home, motor home or other recreational vehicle.
"The Ontario Fire Code requires every 'dwelling unit' in Ontario to have working smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas," explained Pat Burke, Fire Marshal of Ontario. "What many people may not know is that the term 'dwelling unit' includes seasonal homes such as park model trailers, cabins and cottages and may include trailer homes, motor homes and other recreational vehicles".
While many new trailer and RV models may already meet a construction standard requiring working smoke alarms, older models may not be equipped with any or they may not have been properly maintained. It is a good practice to install working smoke alarms in any recreational vehicle, trailer and boat with sleeping quarters. Test the alarms monthly and after any absence of more than a few days. Replace any smoke alarms that may be more than 10 years old.
"Smoke alarms can alert you and give you and your family the precious time needed to safely escape a fire," said Burke. "Install smoke alarms in any structure where people may be sleeping or living."
Failure to comply with the applicable Fire Code smoke alarm requirements
can result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $100,000.
Grill safely this barbecue season
TORONTO (April 28, 2008) - With the barbecue season already underway
across most of Ontario, the Office of the Fire Marshal recommends taking
a few safety precautions before grilling that first outdoor meal of
To get your barbecue ready for grilling season, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority recommends making this three-step safety check part of your spring cleaning routine:
1. CLEAN: use a pipe cleaner or wire to make sure the burner ports are free of rust, dust, dirt, spider webs or other debris.
2. CHECK: examine the hose leading from the fuel supply to the burners. Replace if cracked or damaged.
3. TEST: find leaks by applying a 50/50 solution of water and dish soap to all fuel and hose connections. If bubbles appear, tighten the connections and/or replace the damaged parts and always re-test.
Remember that barbecues are for outdoor use only. If used in an enclosed space, carbon monoxide - an odourless, colourless, poisonous gas - will gather and reach dangerous exposure levels, which can lead to serious health effects, or even death.
For more information and safety tips about propane barbecues, visit
the Technical Standards and Safety Authority website: www.tssa.org
Just a reminder Phelps, Smoke Alarm and Fire Safety Campaign is in full swing !!
|Fire can be a very scary thing, don’t hide from
Stay as calm as you can and get out fast.
Crawl on the floor below the smoke
Check the doorknob to see if it’s cool before opening the door.
Open the door slowly.
Do Not try to hide in places that may seem safe. Get to your families “safe meeting place” as soon as you can.
If the doorknob is hot, it means there is fire on the other side.
Do not open the door.
Stuff blankets or sheets under the door.
If you can’t escape safely from your window, wave a cloth out the window and yell as loud as you can.
Talk to your mom or dad about setting up a “Escape Plan” for the whole family.
Proudly display, you will find one of these Decals, in the Windshield of our member's Personal Vehicles.
Very Big Thanks goes out the the Men and Women of the Toronto Fire Department, with a special thank you to Chief Stewart and Division Chief Lamie.
Here are some of the people responsable for supplying us with new gear.
We would like to give a very special thank you to Karen Kopas for her donation of $200.00 on September 10th 2005, during our auto extrication demonstration.
© COPYRIGHT 2005 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED PHELPS VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT